Home

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tasty Stuff: Almond Meal Bread

Regular readers know that I've recently made an amazing culinary discovery: Homemade Almond Milk. And those of you who have actually made it, know that you are left over with lots of almond meal which you can hardly justify throwing into the garbage. Well, yesterday I finally made use of it, and you can too with this super easy Almond Meal Bread Recipe from Novel Eats! I mostly followed the recipe with the exception of a few alterations (some good, some not so good):

1. I quadrupled the amount of almond meal used. That's right QUADRUPULED. Call me crazy, but I really wanted to make good use of the stuff. Perhaps it's why the loaf weighs more than a gold brick. Or perhaps it's because I mistakenly used boiling hot water, deactivating the yeast. Next time, I will still quadruple the almond meal, but will also reduce the amount of flour and use luke warm water.
2. I baked mine in a bread pan so it's shaped better for sandwhiches --> Good call.
3. In an effort to achieve a nice golden brown crust, I slathered some butter on top after it was done baking, put my oven on broil, and put it back in. When it didn't brown right away, I persisted and unfortunately I think I ended up over cooking the bread. Still really tasty, but a bit dry. Next time I will live with non-golden crust. (Seperate subject, but now I'm wondering if you can really even broil anything in a gas oven???)

Try it for yourself and let me know what you think or try another almond meal recipe and share that too!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

It looks heavy... a little water and less almonds dough perhaps? For a golden crust brush the top with some egg yolk or simply water with sugar, corn syrup or any type of oil.

Anonymous said...

Yum. I'll bet it makes great toast.
Mary

Danielle said...

Is it the way to make those delicious Biscottis ?
and I do not think the Biscottis' crust is particularly golden ???

Post a Comment